....The Workmen’s Compensation Act, on the other hand, only provides for a one-off payment to the victim and/or their dependents where death has resulted from the injury/disease, that is a lump sum equal to sixty months' earnings or RM18,000, whichever is the less...
SUBANG JAYA: A Bangladeshi kitchen hand and a Nepalese security guard died while two other foreigners were hospitalised after inhaling dangerous fumes in a manhole behind the Subang Parade shopping complex.
Subang Jaya OCPD ACP Zainal Rashid Abu Bakar said the incident occurred at about 2pm when witnesses stumbled upon the men gasping for air at the bottom of the manhole.
The Fire and Rescue Department lifted out the victims who were barely conscious after inhaling the fumes.According to SJ Echo, Bangladeshi kitchen hand Mohammed Momen was found lying under the three other men slumped over him. Attempts to revive him failed.
The Nepalese guard, Balinath Tah, 33, died on his way to hospital. He was believed to have responded to the distress call from the other victims.
The other two victims, a Bangladeshi and a Nepalese, have been hospitalised at the Universiti Malaya Medical Centre and are in stable condition.
“It is not immediately known how the victims came to be in the manhole,” ACP Zainal said yesterday.
He did not rule out the possibility that one of the victims, after being sent to investigate if there was a gas leak, fainted from inhaling the fumes.
Subsequently, others who went down the manhole including the security guards, may have also succumbed to the fumes.
Police will record statements from the survivors and witnesses.
Witnesses who were first at the scene said they saw two security guards in the manhole gasping for air when they looked into the manhole.
A Subang Parade management spokesman said Subang Parade had no scheduled maintenance work for its manholes.
“We are concerned with the incident and have launched our own internal investigations on the matter,” SJ Echo quoted the spokesman as saying.
The bodies were sent to the Universiti Malaya Medical Centre for post mortem. - Star, 11/2/2011, Two foreigners killed after inhaling dangerous fumes