Monday, June 03, 2019

Minister, make sure people can call us on our CELCOM cellphone number when we are overseas?

My CELCOM handphone does not work when I go overseas, for example Thailand. That means my mother and friends  cannot call me on my phone or send me an SMS. 

In the past, in any country that I go, my phone works and people can call me, and I can also call people using my hand phone. CELCOM used to have agreements with service providers in different countries to ensure that anyone can still call Malaysians that go overseas on their phone...but, of late, there is an attempt to sell a new product which is data services at a rate of over RM30 per day...but that is not what we, as consumers need. [Of course, if one needs data, it is so much cheaper to just get a local SIM card in the relevant country with its internet package]...

A phone number is the contact number that everyone should be able to contact us - from their land-line phone and/or cellphone/mobilephone/handphone...

If we get a call when overseas, and we answer that call - then CELCOM used to charge us the international calling rate ...or if we send a SMS, we are charged the international rate. That is how it should be....For us who want to save money, that information that someone is trying to call us is IMPORTANT - and we may choose to answer our phone or simply send an SMS(which is cheaper) to find out what the caller wants and to tell him/her, we are overseas.

My mother, for instance, has a land-line phone and a cell phone with no data service - and now, she cannot call me even if there is some EMERGENCY at home...or even to communicate some information that someone met with an accident...or has fallen sick...or past away...or even if the house caught fire...

The MINISTER in charge of Communication really must ensure that all phone service providers make sure that phone numbers, when is overseas can still be used and anyone at any time in Malaysia can call and talk to us who are overseas...or send an SMS ..

Remember, other means of communications like WhatsApp, LINE, Signal, Messenger are all on-line products ...and one can contact someone if and only one is on that particular App contact list...

Phone numbers are still the primary contact numbers - the means for anyone to contact people anytime anywhere??



Initially, I though my CELCOM Sim Card may have a problem - but some others have also said that they have the same problem...

When overseas, it seems that CELCOM Sim Cards just do not work...is it the same with other phone communication  service providers? Are we all now 'forced' to pay RM30plus per day when we go overseas? and for Data Service that we do not require? Many even in Malaysia use their Smartphones when there is Wifi - they do not subscribe to Data Services as it is expensive and one just may not be able to afford this additional expense...and a Smartphone is so much more expensive than a simple handphone...My phone is a simple Nokia hand-phone not a Smartphone...so people do call me on that handphone number..

The police too will have difficult calling someone ...because the handphone number simply do not work overseas...

SO MINISTER, make sure that CELCOM and all other phone service producers make sure that the phone number can be used in Malaysia as well as overseas... so all Malaysians travelling overseas can always be contacted by friends and relatives in Malaysia and even in other countries...

CELCOM and other phone service providers must make arrangements with service providers in other countries to make sure that their sim card continues to work overseas - at least in ASEAN and most countries(the fact that it cannot work in a few odd countries that maybe MAS or Air Asia does not fly may be OK - but best that the Sim Card works in all countries with no extra exhorbitant daily charges...if we receive a call, make a call, send a SMS - then OK to charge a reasonable higher rate for that call or SMS ...

That service was provided in the past - so, it is also WRONG for CELCOM to suddenly change its practice/service to the detriment to existing customers. Many customers like me chose CELCOM because I could also call overseas, receive SMS from overseas and most importantly continue to be able to be reachable when overseas...and also able to call or send SMS to friend and family back home in Malaysia.

Maybe, the Minister in charge of Consumer Affairs should also look into this? 

The above is based on my personal experience ...and I have been using CELCOM for a very long time...

WHAT OTHER PROBLEMS WHEN MY CELCOM sim card does not work when overseas?

ONLINE BANKING - well, when I want to make a payment-a transfer, my bank will send by SMS a TAC number - now, I cannot make payment when I am overseas because the CELCOM Sim Card does not work when overseas...so even MAYBANK cannot send me the TAC number to my cellphone....


LHDN - Income Tax Form submission - well, again we need to get the relevant TAC Number usually sent by SMS to my Celcom phone number...now, cannot make the submission because CELCOM sim does not work overseas here in Thailand, where I am..



I bought a new Smartphone and want to log in to gmail - again they would want to make sure that it is I and not some hacker - they usually will send a TAC Number which I have to insert to confirm that it is I - again CELCOM sim not working so this cannot work...



Likewise when I want to transfer my WhatsApp, LINE or other applications to some new Smartphone - they all will send an SMS with a number to be keyed in to my registered CELCOM number ...



In short, if the CELCOM sim does not work overseas - major problem to the Malaysian consumer..

Maybe, I should see if there are some other phone service provider...or is it the same with all Malaysian service providers?

MAJOR PROBLEMS TO MALAYSIANS...IF THE CELCOM SIM NO LONGER FUNCTIONS WHEN WE ARE OVERSEAS... BEFORE IT WAS NO PROBLEM BECAUSE ANYONE CAN ALWAYS CONTACT ME ON MY CELCOM HAND-PHONE NUMBER...










No comments: