Sunday, December 16, 2007

AG(or is it really the PM) that is considering the appeal of the 31

“They also told the A-G that they will not participate in such activities in the future. .. how does the Prime Minister know this..

Now who is the PP, the Public Prosecutor, the AG or the PM?

Reference to the Public Prosecutor to re-consider the charge, and maybe withdraw the charge is a usual procedure employed by the accused. The question is how will the Public Prosecutor decide..

Will there be some plea-bargaining -- i.e. maybe "hey you 31, admit to a lesser charge of causing hurt to that police officer and the attempted murder charge be withdrawn....or maybe also could you come out in public (maybe TV also) and denounce the alleged leaders of HINDRAF and maybe also say that Indians are all well-treated in Malaysia.....", I am just wondering out loud...

The powers of arrest, detention, charging a person, conducting a trial ....are powers that must never be abused - and used justly and honestly by those who have those powers...

PM: Murder charge protesters regret actions

Sunday, 16 December 2007, 09:07am

PM: Murder charge protesters regret actionsA-G urged to consider appeals by parents

©The Sunday Star

KUALA LUMPUR: The 31 Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf) protesters facing an attempted murder charge have voiced regret over their actions to Attorney-General Tan Sri Gani Patail, Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said.

“They also told the A-G that they will not participate in such activities in the future.

“I pity them. I have told the A-G to please consider this representation of theirs and decide as soon as possible,” he told reporters after chairing the Umno supreme council meeting at the PWTC here yesterday.

Abdullah said this when asked whether the attempted murder charge against the 31 would be dropped following appeals from various groups, including MIC president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu, for their release.

Abdullah added that the 31 protesters had said that many people had been misled by Hindraf.

The 31 were slapped with the charge after they allegedly injured a policeman at the illegal Hindraf rally on Nov 25.

Samy Vellu had said on Friday that he had conveyed the appeal of the protesters’ parents to the Attorney-General and hoped that it would be considered favourably.

He added that the parents told him their children took part in the rally without realising the consequences and also claimed that they were hoodwinked into believing it was for a worthy cause.

No comments: