Thursday, December 28, 2006

Are Rela personnel trained? (Star) - Letter to Editor



Are Rela personnel trained?

I REFER to your report “Rela seeks allowance for staff during ops” (The Star, Dec 27).

I hope with the increase in allowance Rela (People’s Volunteer Corps) authorities would also educate its members to conduct their job lawfully.

Recently, my maid was detained while on her normal outing to Chow Kit though she was holding a valid identity card issued by the Immigration Department.

Imagine the nightmare we went through as we were on holiday in the United States and had left the household in her care.

The maid has been with us for the past four years.

They refused to release her and told her she had to wait until her employers came to get her and that would be in the next two weeks.

I had no choice but to seek help from the higher authorities for her release, worried that my house was in pitch dark at night.

It leaves me wondering how much have Rela members been taught the way to exercise their authority.

Were they taught to recognise the identity card issued by the Immigration Department?

DATIN NAZIRAH ABDULLAH,

Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: