Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Eli Wong's public offer to resign as ADUN may be a betrayal of 12,125 plus Bukit Lanjan..ians

Why is Elizabeth Wong offering to resign as State Assembly Women(ADUN) for Bukit Lanjan?

There are 'nude' photos of hers allegedly being circulated....

...and maybe there may be threats that other photos of her with some other may start circulating later on - UNLESS she resigns now her position from the Selangor Exco...and as ADUN.

Maybe, there are even more 'revealing things' to come UNLESS...

Being naked not in public is alright, or is it not? And, does it become a wrong when someone secretly takes and/or starts circulating it...

In Malaysia, nudity and sex arouses more reaction from Malaysians - compared to corrupt practices, 'murder'...and it is so sad.

In our past, we have had several victims of allegations involving sex/sexual conduct like BN MIC's D.P. Vijayendra, BN MCA's Chua Soi Lek, even BN UMNO's Rahim Thamby Cheek, PR PKR's Anwar Ibrahim, PAS's Mat Sabu...

But, now, maybe the time is ripe to deal with the question of whether what does in one's own private life (safe, of course if it was an offence) should have a bearing on our position as ADUN/MP, MB, CM, PM, PM,...Cabinet/Exco?

If one is found to be corrupt, to have abused one's power, to have been negligent and this negligence has (or may have) resulted in people suffering loses/life/etc - then, of course, the only honourable thing to do is to resign.

But, not for photos/videos of what one did in the private..., I do not think so..

For photos showing you naked with another in a room...Well, if Muslim, then we may say that it is khalwat even if the 2 persons were fully clothed and having coffee...but, if it is non-Muslims, then it is just immoral to some but nothing illegal - certainly not an 'offence' in law.

Should the higher standards of Muslims apply also to non-Muslims in Malaysia? Should the higher standards of Muslims apply also to non-Muslims who hold public office in Malaysia?

Here, we have allegedly photos of her alone, allegedly nude or semi-nude...

So, should she resign her position?

I think not...but the ultimate decision will be hers...

But, maybe she should really go back to her own constituents and see what they say... for after all, she is their representative in the Selangor State Legislative Assembly...(She is not PKR or Pakatan Rakyat's representive in the State Legislative Assembly - she was elected, by the people, not appointed by the party like them Local Councillors...)

I do not think 'that good of the party' should supercede the wishes of the people , i.e. the constituents of Bukit Lanjan. Remember, that in GE2008, she defeated the incumbent , getting 12,125 votes, and her majority was 5,155...

I believe that she should not even offered to resign....certainly not as ADUN Bukit Lanjan.

If the Pakatan Rakyat Menteri Besar and government of Selangor has a problem, then maybe resign as Exco but stay as ADUN.

If PKR has a problem with it - then maybe quit PKR and stay independent... (or join DAP, PRM, PSM,...)

If your constituents do not want you anymore, then only should you consider resigning as ADUN...

By offering to resign publicly now, without even going back to your own constituents in Bukit Lanjan - do you think you have been fair to them who gave you the mandate to represent them ( the 12,125 of them and the rest of the people of Bukit Lanjan)

Withdraw your offer to resign as ADUN of Bukit Lanjan - go back to your constituents first, and consider their feelings and decisions - and then do what they want you to do. Do not do just what your political party wants you to do - that is always secondary to what your constituents want..

I would like to share with my readers both Elizabeth's media statements, that I copied from her blog...(for after all, the mainstream media may not give her the space to express herself completely...)

PRESS RELEASE
17 Feb 2009

The events of the past two days have shown an insidious and underhanded attempt by certain quarters to smear my reputation. My personal life and privacy have been violated.

These people have conspired to undermine my credibility both as a Selangor State Exco Member as well as a Keadilan leader. Although the smear campaign directed towards me has caused me a lot of anguish, I am aware that the real objective is to discredit Parti Keadilan Rakyat.

I have done nothing wrong.

I wish to state that I am not ashamed of my sexuality as a woman and as a single person. I have broken no law. I stand by the fundamental principle in a democracy that everyone has a right to privacy.

Parti KeADILan Rakyat stands for ‘new’ politics that holds justice and human rights as core values which transcend gender, ethnicity and class. ‘New’ politics also means we rise above gutter politics.

It is precisely this that I believe that these attacks will continue with greater intensity, and I have no doubt that Umno and Barisan Nasional will continue to manipulate the situation. Accordingly, I have decided to make a stand, in the interest of the party and its struggle for the people.

I have received overwhelming support from my family, my constituents, Pakatan Rakyat colleagues, friends and the general public. However, in the interest of my party, I have decided to offer my resignation as a Selangor State Exco Member as well as the State Assemblywoman for Bukit Lanjan.

I will discuss with the Menteri Besar to arrange for the proper handover of my responsibilities. I will continue to serve the people and fight for justice in Malaysia.

Last but not least, I am very grateful to the people who have placed their trust in me and my party, and I thank them for the opportunity that they have given me to serve. Words cannot possibly express my eternal gratitude to outstanding staff members and fellow ADUNs, and most of all, my Menteri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim who has given me his unwavering support and the opportunity to work with him.

If I have let anyone down or offended anyone, I offer my sincere apologies.

ELIZABETH WONG
ADUN BUKIT LANJAN
EXCO for Tourism, Consumer Affairs and the Environment

And, also the earlier media statement...

Press Release: 16 Feb 2009

I was informed on Friday 13 February, 2009 by journalists from the Malay Mail that they have in their possession intimate photos of myself and that the newspaper will be publishing a story about these photographs.

I was told that some people are trying to distribute photos/videos showing me asleep in partial nudity and also in intimate positions.

The distribution and publication of these photos/video is a malicious attack on my personality. This constitutes a gross outrage on my modesty, a gross invasion of my privacy, and in particular the sanctity of my personal life. It is being done by unscrupuluous persons to embarrass and discredit me。

I am a victim in this incident.

I have yesterday lodged a police report in relation to this matter and I will fully cooperate with the police in their investigation. I will therefore not speculate publicly about those responsible for this gross invasion of my privacy.

I have received a lot of support from my supporters, friends, colleagues and members of my constituency. I wish to thank them for their concern, support and encouragement.

My family members are standing behind me. I would like to appeal to the media to give me and my family members some breathing space in this trying time so that I can weather this huge challenge.

I will in the meantime continue to carry out my task of serving the people of Selangor faithfully.





4 comments:

Eric said...

Charles,

let's cross the MB will see your points and simply refuse her resignations.
Eli Wong is needed by all Selangorians.

I swear said...

If morality or nudity is an issue. Very simple to resolve this. Just ask Elizabeth Wong to resign. Then Elizabeth Wong contest for the election, again. Let Bkt Lanjan people decide whether they still want her. On the bright side, there might be goodies for Bkt Lanjan people.

Mike said...

Charles,

First we need to find out how her relationship broke. Then check the lifestyle of the ex-bf. What's he doing abroad? What's his background?

He could have been paid, if only he had sex recorded, the payment could run into millions.

PI Bala

blues said...

Who said selangorians need her. The issues is moral of pkr leaders. She is not fit as adun of bukit lanjan. Shame of you PKR EXCO....!!!!


PKR VOTER