Azhar said his decision to resign was in line with MRT Corp taking full responsibility for the incident. “As the head of MRT Corp, I am taking personal responsibility for the incident and this is the correct thing to do...
Azhar said he hopes this incident will serve as a lesson for those in the construction industry on ensuring safety at construction sites."I have been constantly stressed on the needs to improve on the safety standards in the construction industry since the first day I became the MRT Corp CEO."Unfortunately, this incident showed that safety standards may have been breached and that has brought about my resignation," said Azhar.
Azhar said his decision to resign was in line with MRT Corp taking full responsibility for the incident.
“As the head of MRT Corp, I am taking personal responsibility for the incident and this is the correct thing to do. I have informed the Chairman of MRT Corp, Tan Sri Dr Ali Hamsa, of my decision,” he says.
Azhar was appointed CEO of MRT Corp on September 1, 2011 following the Government’s decision to set up the company to take over the ownership and development of the Klang Valley MRT Project from Syarikat Prasarana Malaysia Bhd. Meanwhile, MRT Corp also informed media in the latest update on the worksite accident that the bodies of the two remaining workers who were trapped beneath the span of the MRT guideway, which had dislodged from its piers and fallen on the ground below at 8.30pm yesterday night, have been recovered.
The bodies of Bangladesh nationals Mohamad Faruk Khan, 38, and Mohammad Alauddin Mollik, 34, were recovered at about 1.35pm after the sixth segmented box girders which form the span were lifted.
The body of the third Bangladeshi, Mohammad Elahi Hossain, was pulled out from under the MRT guideway at 2.34am.
In a statement today, Azhar assured that the relevant authorities will begin an investigation into the incident to identify its cause.
“I hope all weaknesses which are identified will be rectified,” he said, adding that he was "extremely saddened' by the loss of lives.
Azhar had always stressed the need to improve safety in the construction industry and had personally made some effort to achieve this.
MRT Corp also said that the bodies of two remaining workers, who were trapped under the concrete span, have been recovered.
The bodies of Bangladeshis Mohamad Faruk Khan, 38, and 34-year-old Mohammad Alauddin Mollik were recovered at about 1.35pm, after the sixth segmented box girders which form the span were lifted.
Earlier this morning, the body of Mohammad Elahi Hossain, 27, was found at 2.30 am trapped under the collapsed span.
The workers' remains were taken to the Sungai Buloh Hospital for post-mortem.
The three construction workers went missing after the 650-tonne span at the MRT worksite near the former Rubber Research Institute land collapsed at 8.30 pm yesterday
The Bangladesh High Commission has been informed, MRT said, to contact the family members of the three workers who had died.
"MRT Corp and SMPP (contractor Syarikat Muhibah Perniagaan dan Pembinaan Sdn Bhd) will make the necessary arrangements for the bodies to be repatriated to Bangladesh once the next of kin have been informed and consent is given by the High Commission," the statement read.
All work at the site has been called off until further notice, it said, adding that Project Delivery Partner MMC Gamuda KVMRT (PDP) Sdn Bhd has commenced investigations to determine the cause of the incident.
“Initial investigations have revealed that the work method approved for the installation of parapets was not adhered to.
“We will investigate why this happened, and no stone will be left unturned so that we can get to the bottom of this tragic incident. We will also not spare anyone whose actions are found to have caused or contributed to this accident,” Azhar said.
He also assured that the MRT structures have been checked to be safe, allaying public worry over the safety of the span.
“Immediate checks carried out have revealed that there is no reason for the public to worry about the other spans which have been built along the alignment. There is absolutely no issue with structural integrity along our alignment,” he says.
Meanwhile, Subang MP R Sivarasa has urged authorities to suspend the whole MRT project until investigations can be carried out to prove that it was safe, adding that this was the second case of a similar nature in merely two months.
"Road users who frequently pass through MRT work sites should have confidence in their safety. These two incidents, unfortunately, do not inspire any confidence.
"Until this confidence is restored through detailed reports, I urge that the work should be stopped immediately," he said in a statement. – August 19, 2014, Malaysian Insider, MRT boss resigns over fatal accident at worksite
MRT CEO resigns over construction site accident
Last updated on 19 August 2014 - 06:53pm
SUNGAI BULOH: Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) Corp chief executive officer Datuk Azhar Abdul Hamid (pix) has resigned over Monday night's accident at the MRT construction site in Kota Damansara.
"I have informed the Chairman of MRT Corp Tan Sri Ali Hamsa of my decision and I will be submitting my resignation letter to him later. I know my resignation will not bring the lives of the three workers back, but I believe it is the correct thing to do," said Azhar during a press conference at the Kota Damansara MRT project site today.
Azhar said he hopes this incident will serve as a lesson for those in the construction industry on ensuring safety at construction sites.
"I have been constantly stressed on the needs to improve on the safety standards in the construction industry since the first day I became the MRT Corp CEO.
"Unfortunately, this incident showed that safety standards may have been breached and that has brought about my resignation," said Azhar.
Meanwhile, the Director of Stakeholder Relations and Land Management, Haris Fadzilah Hassan will assume the role of acting CEO until a successor is appointed by the government.
In the 8.30pm incident yesterday, 650 tonnes of concrete at the construction site of an overhead rail passage of the Sungai Buloh – Kajang MRT line had collapsed, resulting in the deaths of three Bangladeshi nationals - Mohamad Faruk Khan, 38, Mohammad Alauddin Mollik, 34, and Mohammad Elahi Hossain, 27.
It is learnt that the three victims worked for MRT Corp's sub-contractors.- Sun, 19/8/2014, MRT CEO resigns over construction site accident